Crazy Rich Asians - A book review



I happened to come across this book as a post on facebook says there will be a movie based on this book, and Constance Wu (from Fresh Off the Boat) will be in the cast.

Being an Asian, I went along to Amazon and bought the book.

I have to say, it's a fantastic read and I was pleasantly surprised. The book talks about one of the main characters, Rachael Wu went to Singapore with her boyfriend to find that he comes from a very wealthy big family and learns about the Asian delicacy, family manners, the somewhat biased perception and her shocking family history.

Early on in the book, I already felt closely connected with Rachel, drawn by her humble and down to earth personality. As I followed her into the roller coaster ride of the crazy and rich Asians, I came to know there is a lot more of the high level of rich and how they behave. I love how the author put in a lot of references to the Asian dialect and cuisines they have, with characters that ties in beautifully to make a exciting story. Can't tell you guys what happened in the end, but I cried.

Don't expect this to be a touching romantic book. Do expect this to be like a excellent version of the Chinese OC. Everyone loves to love rich people problems (oops, that's the third Kevin Kwan book).

P.S. Can I say the cast for the movie looks amazing? I can't wait for the movie to come out!

Comments