What I learnt from playing Cashflow Game Online

Hello readers,

I've played this board game once two years back, and I was drawn to the concept of being able to get out of the rat race (first half of winning the game). In fact, the first and only time I played I went into bankruptcy very quickly and became the first to finish the game (not winning). This has taught me to focus more on what went wrong and to read instructions.

After stumbling along the app that I used to keep track of the financial statement on my phone, I decided to give the game another chance online. It's absolutely free and here's my reflection after spending 1-2 hours playing the game by myself twice.

First time I was a police and set my dream to naming the park and donating to improve area security (or something). Thought the dream matched with my career, I pick that and lucky I did - I won the game by achieving my dream.

What I really did to win though, is

  1. pay off my credit debit
  2. waited until I could by some $1 shares
  3. calculated the ROI, I thought I didn't buy anything small unless it's a good deal, or is 30% return
  4. realised big deals don't have big returns, I ended up buying a decent property for around 4% return and not realising that I could have done this sooner (as the cash flow is over $2000 or so) I did it after a million rounds
I was actually quite lucky in this round, as the strategy actually worked.

Second time playing the game I wasn't so lucky. I was a nurse and somehow had 3 kids. The fortunate part was max you can have is 3 kids, as I landed on that a few more times. I also managed to buy a boat for $17000 and paying some loan for that.

What I did:
  1. Did the same as before, only I was more focused on getting more income first (playing few more rounds and skipping deals)
  2. pay attention to my cashflow. I made sure I had 2 months of expense worth in my cash flow, and it paid off as I landed on some "lose one month pay and lose 2 rounds"
  3. I waited for good low cost shares and bought them as usual
  4. Bought houses for around 4% ROI (didn't see any 30% ROI this time). I managed to sell them for a great price when I was in a lot of debt, which helped me tremendously in getting more cash
  5. With another round of shares and another house purchase, I did it again!
Although I've been unlucky with all the expenses, I ended up getting out of the rat race much quicker than the previous time. Probably more because I know how it works better. Might try to go crazy and see how it goes next time.

Comments